State of Nevada


Commission on Postsecondary Education

8778 South Maryland Parkway Suite 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123
Phone: (702) 486-7330    Fax:  (702) 486-7340
Seal of Nevada


The Commission licenses most of the private schools that offer training to adults with a few exceptions such as cosmetology, truck driving and flight training.  Before you enroll in any private school, you should find out several things.  Please read the following and remember that you can contact the Commission for assistance or more information.





Check to see if the school has a business license (city or county) and if required, a license issued by the Commission on Postsecondary Education.  Licensure is mandatory in most states unless the licensing entity has exempted the school.  In Nevada, all licensed schools are required to prominently display its license which includes the inclusive dates of the license.  It should be current.  If you are planning on enrolling in an out-of-state school, contact the Commission as we are in contact with other state licensing agencies.




If your goal is to obtain an associate degree or higher, you should make sure the school you are attending is accredited.  Nevada has prohibitions concerning the use of degrees that are from unaccredited schools.  There are several types of accreditation, regional, national and specialized.  Nevada regulations mandate that the accrediting body be recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  You can check their web site or contact the Commission for additional information.




Most schools will have a financial aid person who can help you determine the best way to pay for your education and you should check with the school for additional information.  There is a state Millennium Scholarship program as well as U.S. Department of Education programs.



Closed Schools

If the school you are attending is licensed by the Commission and it closes while you are enrolled, you may be eligible for a refund.  Most schools are required to maintain a surety bond for such purposes and the Commission maintains a $250,000 recovery fund.  Keep in mind that the  amount of your actual refund may be less than you paid,  based on the total refund and the amount of funding available at the time of closure. Students have up to 1 year from the date of the school closure to submit a claim for refund. Visit the Student complaint tab for more information.


Alcoholic Beverage Awareness Program

There are several companies authorized by CPE to provide classroom or online training and subsequent testing required to receive an Alcoholic Beverage Awareness Card.  Don't confuse a program name or company with the end product.  All programs will issue a Nevada Alcoholic Beverage Awareness Card. Cards are valid for four years and cardholders must complete the full training program to be issues a new card. The card must contain the students name, date of completion, expiration and approved program name/location.






This page is Bobby Approved  Federal Rehabilitation Act (Section 508)
Last Updated: 09/27/16 03:46:02 PM